HOW TO REACH DEEP PATAGONIA
WELCOME TO DEEP PATAGONIA
Coming from abroad
If you are traveling from outside Chile you need an international flight to Santiago, the capital. You may wish to stay a few days in the city (consult your travel agent for hotel and excursion arrangements) www.manual.protourschile.com)
- From Santiago take a domestic flight to Balmaceda in southern Chile (or in case you choose our Trans Patagonia program, go to Puerto Montt). Two Chilean airlines (LAN and SKY) provide regular daily scheduled flights. Your travel agent can make these reservations, or use LATAM or Sky Airline.
- From Balmaceda (or otherwise from Puerto Montt) the following means of transport are available to reach Robinson Crusoe Lodge at Villa O’Higgins, on Glacier Lake:
- Taking regular bus services: There are a daily service from Coyhaique to the city of Cochrane. Then you must stay one night in this city, and then take a regular bus to Villa O'Higgins on Wednesday or Saturday. (Return from Villa O'Higgins to Cochrane are Sunday and Thursday). (Buses Aguilas Patagónicas Tel. +56-67-221 1288).
- Rent in advance a suitable vehicle at Balmaceda for the journey overland to Villa O’Higgins with Hertz rent a car (www.hertz.cl, Phone +56-67-224 5780), to be taken in Balmaceda or Coyhaique (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). NOTE: Vehicles rented by Hertz have the option to be dropped (Drop-Off) or required (take-on) in Villa O'Higgins. Special rate applies.
- You may also consult with the local airline "Aerocord" in Coyhaique, the chance of flying to Villa O'Higgins on Mondays or Thursdays (www.aerocord.cl, Tel. +56-67-224 63 00). This is a 9-passengers airplane, bear in mind there is a difficulty in committing to reservations long in advance owing to limited capacity. and is not possible to make reservations long in advance.
- Another possibility is to travel in your own (adequately equipped) vehicle from any other point in Chile north of Balmaceda.
For more adventurous travelers visiting the city of El Calafate in Argentine Patagonia and the nearby town of El Chalten next to Mount Fitz Roy, there is a very attractive alternative to reach Robinson Crusoe Lodge at Villa O’Higgins and visit Deep Patagonia. This is, doing the border crossing across Lago del Desierto, crossing the border through the "ROUTE OF SETTLERS" to the Glaciers Lake (O'Higgins), then sailing on our boat L/M Quetru to visit the Great Glacier O'Higgins and subsequently reach the Robinson Crusoe lodge in Villa O'Higgins. You must consider 1 night in Candelario Mancilla on the shore of Lago O'Higgins in the house of the Colonists or camping. According to many persons this border crossing is "The best of the Carretera Austral". For more information see Excursions - El Chaltén - Villa O'Higgins crossing description.
Warning: Schedules and frequencies can be affected by adverse weather conditions or force majeure. Should confirm departure times 12 hours before at the local office of Robinson Crusoe in Villa O'Higgins, telephone 56 - 67-243 18 11 The Service do not consider the reimbursement of any additional expenses due to suspended or delayed departures, and will be assumed by each passenge.